Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lucy's 5th Birthday

Our sweet girl is now a big 5 year old.  I think she started talking about what kind of birthday cake she wanted about 10 months before her birthday.  This year she chose Hello Kitty, and when I asked her what flavor she wanted it to be she decided quite quickly that she wanted blueberry.  I began to look up blueberry cake recipes, but all I could find was a white cake with blueberries in it and I didn't think that would work well with the buttercream frosting.  So I made up my own blueberry cake recipe, and it was a hit!!  So Lucy's Hello Kitty cake was all ready for her on her birthday morning when she got up. She did her sweet little giggle and was so excited about it that it was well worth the fuss.  She got to pick out her birthday breakfast, so she chose cinnamon rolls, pears, mango and plums.  I added eggs for some protein.  Mike took the day off, so after breakfast and playing for a while, we all got dressed and went to pick out a pinata for her party.  We found the cutest ice cream cone pinata at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon, woohoo!  All the pinata's I found at other stores were so expensive just to be beaten on and thrown away.  Lucy then picked chick-fil-a for her birthday lunch.  We ran into her friend there, so she got to play in the play area for a while with her.  We then stopped to get some balloons and ice cream for her party (malted chocolate was her choice... the man at Braum's thought that was so funny for a 5 year old to pick out that flavor and was very concerned she wouldn't like it, which she ended up loving and made Mike very happy).  We then went home, put Brandt down for a nap and started getting everything ready for our family coming over for the party.  Lucy is a girl who knows what she wants... she wanted to make pizza, have a pinata and play pin the bow on Hello Kitty.  So Mike printed off a huge Hello Kitty picture that Lucy colored and we taped it to the fence outside.  I must add that the Lord blessed us with weather that was absolutely perfect.  It was like the only day for weeks that you didn't get blown over when you went outside.  The kids were able to make their pizza's, play outside while they baked, and we were able to play all of the games outside in a beautiful evening.  The kids loved the pinata, but the adults had more fun with pin the bow on Hello Kitty....we figured out you could see through the blindfold so all the kids were cheating so it was pretty easy for them.  It was a great day celebrating Lucy!  She is such a blessing to our family.  We love you so much sweet Lucy!!

No comments: